Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Whole wheat chocolate pancakes

Pin It

It really surprises me that I had never ever considered making pancakes at home until recently. Maybe it's because I had always considered pancakes to be the sweet version of dosa that we often make for breakfast at home.


Anyway one day last week I was up early in the morning and pondering what to pack for the kid's lunch. I was bored of packing the usual stuff and wanted to try something different, that's when I thought of pancakes. I searched a few recipes in the internet and found that the basic ingredients are flour, egg, milk, sugar and little butter. To make it healthier I decided to use whole wheat flour and to make it tastier I added cocoa powder.  The procedure was easy but I was unsure about the taste. I was expecting a chewy, sweet version of our wheat dosa (not very appealing) but when I took the first bite I was really surprised. It was so soft and fluffy and the taste was marvelous. My son loved it. This Sunday our breakfast was whole wheat chocolate pancakes and all of us loved it. First time when I made for my son I served the pancakes with Hershey's chocolate syrup but the second time I made chocolate sauce at home, it was thinner but I felt it tasted better.

Here is the recipe if you are interested.


Whole wheat chocolate pancake recipe
Makes about 6 pancakes

Ingredients:
Whole wheat flour - About 1 cup
Milk - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Egg - 1
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Butter - 1 tbsp melted
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
A pinch of salt

Method:
Sieve together flour, baking soda and salt. Add sugar and the wet ingredients and whisk together. If you feel the batter is too thick you can add more milk but don't make it too runny. Heat a griddle or skillet, lightly grease with oil or butter and pour a ladle full of batter. Do not spread much, it should be thick. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, flip and cook on the other side. Pour some chocolate sauce over and serve. It tastes good even without the chocolate sauce.

To make a quick chocolate sauce take equal quantities of cocoa powder, sugar and water. Mix them together and allow to simmer on the stove until it thickens slightly. You can add vanilla for flavoring.


If you haven't made this version of pancakes you should give this recipe a try. I'm sure you'll like it. 

7 comments:

  1. I am going to make this today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will definitely try..Thanks for the recipe..

    Love,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy post !
    Have a great day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pancakes but this wheat pancake is a great idea for healthy food.. Looks delicious! Will definitely try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, This is my first stop here and it is a great stop.
    It looks like delicious.
    I am a big fan of pancakes.
    Miss

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...